Zoom U-44 Handy 4-In/4-Out Audio Interface
The U-44 from Zoom is a compact, 4-in/4-out audio interface with 48V phantom power that provides all of the essential tools you need for recording and performing high-resolution, 24-bit/96 kHz audio anywhere you go. It can be used to connect to your Mac or Windows computer, or iPad* via USB, to record with mics, instruments, and more.
The U-44 interface uses the same high-quality, low-noise preamps as the Zoom H5 and H6 handy recorders. It features two TRS/XLR combo jacks for inputs, in/out S/PDIF Optical Toslink and S/PDIF Coaxial on RCA, MIDI In/Out, two TRS 1/4" unbalanced jack outputs, RCA line-level outputs and a standard stereo headphone jack. In addition, it is powered by two AA batteries, providing up to four hours of continuous operation with phantom power turned off. The U-44 includes a download code for Ableton Live 9 Lite software to get you started right away.
Purchasers can also register for a free download of a special version of Pro Tools First, which contains a valuable collection of twenty-one AAX audio software plug-ins.
- The World is Your Studio
- Wherever you want to record, the bus-powered U-44 forms the perfect centerpiece of your mobile studio. Connect instruments, monitors, and other devices when you're recording at home, or hook it up to your iPad* to make music on the go. If bus power isn't available, the U-44 can run on just two AA batteries, allowing you to record anywhere.
* Requires two AA batteries or optional AC adapter for power, plus an Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit or Lightning-to-USB Camera Adapter for connection to iPad.
- Zoom 10-Pin Connector
- Thanks to its 10-pin Zoom connector, the U-44 is compatible with all of our interchangeable input capsules (sold separately), representing a powerful field-recording setup. Choose from six capsules—X/Y, Shockmount X/Y, Mid-Side, Shotgun, Stereo Shotgun, and Dual XLR/TRS Combo Input—each with its own unique application. Record the audience during your live performance, or connect our SSH-6 Stereo Shotgun for dialogue and sound design on your latest film project.
- Pristine Recording and Playback
- Inspired by the Zoom H-series recorders, the U-44 is equipped with high-performance, low-noise mic preamps (-119.5 dB EIN) that enable recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz. You can also use U-44 as a studio-quality headphone amp and listen to your favorite music in full fidelity.
- Get Connected with the U-44
- The U-44 features a full array of inputs and outputs so you'll always be prepared. Two combo inputs with independent gain knobs and multi-color level indicators provide flexibility for connecting mics, keyboards, and mixers. 48V phantom power can be supplied to inputs 1 and 2, and input 1 supports Hi-Z input for connecting passive guitars, basses, and other instruments. MIDI I/O enables you to use electronic keyboards, controllers, synthesizers, and drum machines.
- Multiple Output Options
- Multiple output options—including 1/4", RCA, and S/PDIF—allow you to connect DJ mixers, speakers, and more. Monitoring your mixes is easy thanks to a dedicated headphone output with independent volume control. The direct-monitor knob makes it possible to blend your headphone mix between the input and playback signals—perfect for live electronic music performance and DJ'ing.
- Control Your Mix
- With advanced monitoring options, the U-44 lets you dial in the perfect mix with zero latency. Create a balanced headphone mix between your click-track and main-out signals during live performances, or balance the cue and main out signals when you're DJ'ing.
- Stand-Alone AD/DA Conversion
- When you're transferring audio, high-quality AD/DA conversion is critical. The U-44 functions in stand-alone mode as a high-quality mic preamp and AD/DA converter to ensure complete transparency when converting audio formats. You can choose between a 44.1 and 48 kHz sampling rate for conversion.
- Feature-Rich Mobile Recording
- The U-44 is small enough to carry in your jacket pocket or backpack without sacrificing features. Plus, all of the connectors and knobs are strategically positioned for fast access.
- Create More with Your U-44
- When you combine the U-44 with Ableton Live 9 Lite, you have everything the modern music creator needs. Record your tracks quickly and intuitively, enhancing them with studio-quality effects like EQ, compression, reverb, delay, chorus, filter, and more.
Purchasers can register for a free download of a special version of Pro Tools First, with a collection of twenty-one AAX audio software plug-ins.